* Living Lent 2018
" Lent stimulates us to let the Word of God penetrate our life and in this way to know the fundamental truth:
who we are, where we come from, where we must go, what path we must take in life..."
--- Pope Benedict XVI
* Lent is a time of pryer, fasting, and almsgiving. During Lent do random acts of good and loving deeds
to God, family, friends, strangers, and yourself.
* Lent is a time for reconsidering our feelings, for letting our eyes be opened to injustice, to open our hearts
to those suffering. Pope Francis@Pontifex Twitter 14 February 2016
* Did you know?
- Lent is the liturgical season of 40 days which begins with Ash Wednesday and ends with the celebration of the Pascal Mystery
- Lent is the primary penitential season in the Church's liturgical year, reflecting the 40 days Jesus spent in the desert fasting and
praying (Catechism of the catholic church).
- The word Lent comes from the old English word 'Lencten' meaning 'Spring' (season).
- Lent is a time of prayer, fasting and almsgiving.
- During Lent, the Alleluia and the Gloria are omitted at Mass.
- Ash Wednesday (14 February 2018) and the Good Friday (30 March 2018) are days of fasting and abstinence.
- The day before Ash Wednesday is called Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Tuesday. The tradition is to use up all your eggs, fats, and
milk so that fasting can begin on Ash Wednesday.
- The ashes distributed on Ash Wednesday are made from palms blessed the previous Palm Sunday. The ashes are a reminder
that God's forgiveness is real.
- The forty days of Lent relates to the forty days Jesus spent in wilderness preparing for public ministry. Sundays are not
included in the count because every Sunday is a little Easter.
- The season of Lent is the most appropriate time for celebrating the sacrament of Penance. Penance should be both inward and
individual, and outward and communal.
- For those to be baptised at Easter, Lent is a period of preparation called the 'Period of Purification and Enlightenment'.
- In Australia, catholics are obliged to receive Holy Communion at least once a year between Ash Wednesday and Trinity Sunday.
----- EVANGELISATION BRISBANE
Contact: 07 3324 3440, email@example.com
" Peace be with you! "